The area is Skellefteå parish center since medieval times. The ecclesiastical environment with a church, cemetery, rectory, church town with its marketplace, tenth sheds, “Brunnsgarden” and “Lugnet” relates to the significance of the district’s religious and social life for a long period.
The Major’s (Squadron-leader) house “Nyborg”, the former drill site and at Nordanå the old army storages illustrates the military organization in earlier times. The College is an historically valuable architectural element from our own time. Two of the county’s oldest bridges are found here. The mighty country church west of the town center is a part of a larger contiguous area along the Skellefte River North river bank.
The area is both culturally and environmentally highly valuable. The area was formerly church’s land and dominated largely by the powerful church, whose body is made of medieval origin. At the end of the 1700s church was rebuilt on to cruciform church in neo-classical style. The cemetery, built in phases containing funerary monuments, portals, chapels and other elements with a cultural interest background. Below the church was the old ferry site, where link across the river has been maintained since the 1500s. In 1737 there was built a wooden bridge, called the Lion bridge. It has later been restored at different time points and one of Västerbotten few preserved wooden bridges still in use.
A little east of the church is “Bonnstan”, that of Västerbotten church towns that best kept its authentic character. The church town was originally situated nearer to the church, but after a devastating fire in 1835 it was moved to its present location. The old road from Bonnstan to the east passes a deep gap on a mighty stone arch bridge.It leeds to the “Nordanå” area, which in earlier times served as place to process tar, marketplace and military exercise ground.
The Major’s house “Nyborg” was erected here 1764, now one of the best preserved houses of this kind in the country. Its main building and an additional number of buildings, original and moved, forms an open air museum in the parkland.
Nordanå farm from the 1830s serves as an inn. The old college, called “Nordanå” is also the city’s grammar school from 1913, in a prudent manner rebuilt to museums and theater.